Please go directly to the program’s webpage for more information! You should consider the following things (and more!) when deciding which Exchange is best for you:
- Program Dates – some locations have semester dates that are drastically different than those in the U.S. Check on the university's website directly for the exact dates for your semester of interest, which typically include an international student orientation at the beginning and an exam period at the end.
- Course Options – make sure that the courses offered at the host university will keep you on track here at Butler. You can do this by creating a four-, five-, or six-year plan with your academic advisor. See what you would take during a "normal" semester here at Butler and use that information to research if the university you're interested in studying abroad at offers similar courses. You will get your study abroad courses approved after you've been accepted to your program with a Course Approval Form from the CGE; this form is available in mid-October for the following spring semester and mid-March for the following fall semester in the CGE's pre-departure packet.
- Housing Options – see what options are available, if they are of interest, and if they are within your price range. Many study abroad programs do not include a meal plan, so factor that into your budget.
- Clubs & Activities Available – determine what you could get involved in at the host institution to round out your study abroad experience and meet local students.
- Language requirements and intensive language learning opportunities are not available at this institution, as the host language is English!
To find the answers to these questions for the University of Tasmania (Launceston campus), please click here
The University of Tasmania's Newnham campus is a spacious, 50-hectare campus that overlooks the Tamar River and offers a friendly, inclusive learning environment. The Newnham campus is located a short drive from the city centre. It is regularly serviced by public transport and is close to local shopping centres. A range of affordable accommodation options are available on campus including the self-contained Newnham Apartments, and the 120 brand new apartments on the Inveresk campus. The Newham campus is also home to the Australian Maritime College, Australia's national centre for maritime education and training and is known for its world-class teaching and research facilities. The campus also features the Human Interface Technology Lab (HITLab AU), the only facility of its kind in Australia. This teaching and research facility builds advanced human-computer interface technology that will unlock the power of human intelligence, improve quality of life and link minds globally. A satellite campus is located adjacent to the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery at the 17-hectare cultural precinct at Inveresk near Launceston's inner city. The Inveresk campus features award winning world-class facilities which are home to the Tasmanian College of the Arts and the School of Architecture and Design.
If you accept your Exchange placement, you will continue to pay Butler University tuition for your semester abroad, instead of the tuition cost listed on the university’s website. Additionally, you will receive 100% of your federal financial aid and 100% of your Butler University institutional aid and scholarships for your semester abroad. You will be billed for your Butler tuition and activity fee, as well as the study abroad fee, through your Butler student account. You are responsible for paying your host university’s housing costs and must be prepared to pay these fees to the host university upon arrival. In addition to the costs previously listed, you are also responsible for your own international airfare*, passport/visa expenses, additional health insurance, and all personal/travel expenses.
*Please note that the dates listed on this program’s itinerary are tentative and should not be used to book flights.
This is considered a Butler Exchange program. As a Butler University student, you will first apply internally with the CGE through this online application system (click "Apply Now" at the top of this page). Please remember that Exchanges are not guaranteed placements! The CGE will do their best to place you at your preferred university, but they cannot guarantee that your top choice will be available. Once you have been placed, you will receive additional instructions from the CGE on how to apply for the university at which you are placed.